PickleSkills (For Winnipeg West Club Members only)
“Grow Your Game with Pickle Strokes”
The first part of Winnipeg West Pickleball Club’s (WWPC) Pickle Skills Program is set to go. Pickle Strokes is a series of 4 individual, 2 hour sessions. At each session, stroke mechanics are developed, using progressive drills, modified game play and instructor feedback. Sign up for all 4 sessions or only those you feel are suited to your needs. However many sessions you participate in, be prepared to hit a ton of balls!
Pickle Strokes is for WWPC members if they:
- Have developed basic shot making ability - forehand and backhand - but your technique is inconsistent;
- Want to improve your shot accuracy and control;
- Want to improve your playing abilities when at the net;
- Desire to advance your overall level of recreational and/or competitive play (tournaments and leagues); and
- Enjoy learning new skills in a fun environment.
Register for one or all of the four sessions (bundle discounts apply*).
Mix and match as long as remaining sessions are for future dates.
October Sessions are at Bruce Oake Recovery Centre Fridays, at 8:00 AM
- Serve and Return of Serve October 7, 2022
- Ground Strokes October 14, 2022
- Drop Shots October 21, 2022
- Net Play October 28, 2022
Serve (S) and Return of Serve (ROS)
This session introduces you to the first two shots of the game/rally - the serve (S) and return of serve (ROS). In addition to feedback on your S and ROS capabilities, you will gain an understanding of:
- Serve placement and when to serve to different areas of the court;
- S/ROS team roles and positions for best court coverage when moving from defence to offence;
- The importance of time for the ROS team;
- Drills for both S and ROS and court coverage;
- Modified and mentored play is used to apply your learning to game situations.
Groundstrokes (Forehand and Backhand)
This session is designed to improve your consistency and control when using a groundstroke. In addition to feedback on your ground stroke capabilities, you will be instructed in proper body positioning for the forehand and backhand and the mechanics of getting them to go where you want them to go. Modified and mentored play is used to apply your learning to game situations.
The session focuses on improving the consistency and control of your drop shot from the transition and defence zones. Emphasis is placed on “chip and go” - when and how to advance to the net and drop shot placement. You will be introduced to the concepts of “court geography" and "court zones” and their importance to both the serving and return of serve teams. Modified and mentored play is used to apply your learning to game situations.
Playing at the net is a skill you must develop to "level up" your pickleball play. This session focusses on the mechanics of executing good dink shots and offensive lobs. Lob retrieval and basic blocking mechanics are also introduced. Modified and mentored play is used to apply your learning to game situations.
* Pricing Example.
- If I take only one of the four sessions the costs is $25.
- If I take any two of the four sessions the cost is $25 for the first and $20 for the second = $45
- If I take any three of the four sessions the cost is $25, $20 and $15 = $60
- If I take all four sessions the cost is $25 + $20 + $15 +$10 = $70.