St. Thomas Pickleball Club was founded October 18, 2013
St. Thomas Pickleball Club History
- 2013 Dave & Helen Hall moved to St. Thomas and introduced Pickleball to locals.
- Dave’s goal to promote Pickleball as a board member of Pickleball Ontario.
- Dave & Helen held information booths at various events and advertised in local newspapers.
- April 2013 - Approached The Timken Centre to use facility to teach Pickleball.
- Negotiated 2 – 2-hour time slots to play Pickleball at The Timken Centre.
- Time slots grew to 10 time slots, Advanced, Intermediate and Beginner.
- Summer 2013 received permission from City of St. Thomas to put chalk lines on tennis courts for 2 Pickleball courts.
- October 18, 2013, Dave and Helen founded the St. Thomas Pickleball Club with Dave serving as President for many years.
- Soon 40 members grew to 65 and with their support Dave Hall lobbied the City of St. Thomas for more Pickleball facilities.
- STPC formed Goals and the Constitution.
- 2014 the St. Thomas Pickleball website was created to promote Pickleball to the whole community.
- September 19, 2014, a letter was sent to City Council encouraging them to provide 8 dedicated Pickleball courts. These courts would be available 8:00 am – 11:00 pm daily from May to November.
- Reserved time for Club play, beginner lessons, School use and tournaments was promoted.
- Letters written, presentations to community groups & service clubs.
- March 2015 STPC applied for a $3000.00 Ontario Senior Community Fund grant, used to provide 3 Try-It sessions at Pinafore Park Tennis Courts. Parks & Recreation department and City Council were invited to attend the event to witness firsthand the growing interest in Pickleball. 80 people signed up for lessons as a result.
- STPC members went to schools to teach students and teachers how to play Pickleball.
- 2015 – 2017 STPC provided equipment and lessons to Salvation Army March Break and Summer Kid’s Camps.
- August 2016 held 1st Annual Railway City Pickleball Tournament and requested all participants to donate food items to the St. Thomas Food Bank.