OUTDOOR PLAY INFO
Outdoor play at St. James Memorial Sports Park. Home of our new 8 court facility.
- To join our club for play at St. James Memorial Sports Park, click the black "Join-Renew" button.
Outdoor Play Schedule for 2023.
We will have a mix of Social, Competitive and Open play which will allow players to have many choices as possible to come out and play.
- The club play Calendar will have, League and Round Robin Play Events (competitive), Social (recreational) events and Open booking slots. Members may register for both Social, League, Round Robin or any open play spot weekly.
- The skills rating levels for most Social Play and Leagues overlap. This means you have the option of playing in multiple social skill levels and multiple leagues skills levels.
- Or, if you want to book outside of these activities choose an open booking slot (usually after 10AM). This can be in the same time slot as other activities as long as courts are available.
- We want to give you the most options to play at times that work for you.
Social or Open Play: Specific times of day are assigned for social play by skill level.
- Players at all levels are welcome to come to the courts and play on a first-come, first-served basis during the Open Play designated court time. Emphasis is on fun, friendship and fitness.
- Paddle up queuing is used to determine who plays on the next available court. Players are permitted to play one game (to 11) and then must queue their paddles to play another game.
Competitive Play: Competitive play emphasizes a mindset of performance.
- Effort during games played is primarily directed towards performance that produces a winning score. Players generally have a formal skill rating and play against other players of a similar skill rating. Examples of informal competitive play activities (women’s, men’s or mixed/coed, various skill levels) include, round robins, league play, ladder play and shootouts. Sanctioned tournaments represent the ultimate form of competitive play.
League and Round Robin play: This will provide competitive game matchups, also allow you to have a documented Club skills rating and move your club rating up a level, should your game results support the higher level. All Leagues will be setup in Pickleball Brackets, so you need to register:
- You will register at your prior skill level or your self rated level for League Events.
- See our Join Pickleball Brackets page for more information. (signing up, joining leagues rating detail etc.)
Winnipeg West Advanced Plus Program: A group of high level players typically capable of playing competitively at the 4.0+ tournament level. Focus on like and similar skills for play to achieve competitive games for top level pickleball players.
Frequency of Play: Starting at once per week and increasing as demand dictates.
Day of Week: Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm. Potentially add Monday evenings from 6pm to 9pm and Saturday mornings from 9:30 to noon. Winter play to replicate summer/outdoor play based on demand.
Advanced Plus Coordinators Responsibilities: Determine which members will participate at the Advanced Plus group. It is intended at this point to use Hold My Court and use an authorization for sign up based on eligibility. The allocated space will only be available to Wpg West members based on eligibility.
- CRITERIA to determine players eligible for sessions will be determined by factors such as DUPR and Pickleball Brackets ratings established through tournament play, tournament history available, and observations through visibility of Tournament and Competitive play as seen by the coordinators. Other Winnipeg West members could be solicited for input. Players could enter or exit eligibility based on court availability and criteria described. A cadence for eligibility will likely be set at once or twice per month for players and then be subject to availability of court space for sign up space.
- Manage/monitor all programming within the times granted by WW for play.
- PROGRAMMING could include but would not be limited to; round robins, court assignments by skill level, ladder play, intermixing among skill levels, tournament preparation for teams entered to play tournaments.
- Determine how much mixed, and both men’s and women’s doubles to be played
- Solicit ongoing feedback from Advanced Plus members for ongoing / evolving needs
If you believe as a player you may meet the required criteria contact: email@example.com
Pickle Skills Program (PSP): PSP allows members a pathway to progress their skill level and rating from play for social - recreational purposes to competitive and formal tournament play, should they desire to do so.
The PSP consists of five activities:
- Orientation to Pickleball click here.
- Pickle Strokes click here.
- Drill the Skill, (coming soon).
- Tournament Tune Up (coming soon).
- Ball Machine Use (coming soon)
Booked Play For Small Groups:
- Non members are not able to book courts. Members can book “open courts” by using Hold My Court. Open courts appear (white, no color shading) in the weekly court schedule as court numbers and time slots that are not prescribed for authorized activities. A small group is considered to be up to 12 people and no more than 3 courts may be booked by a small group for play purposes.
Outdoor Play Schedule for 2023.